Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Seasick



Today my grandfather and I went on a fishing trip.
We were out trying to catch my second favorite fish in general and my favorite fish to eat; Rockfish.
Some people also call them stripers because of the stripes running down their bellies.
We were having a great time until we came to a very choppy part of the bay in Maryland's water.
I got super seasick, obviously the title of this post.

But I didn't want to admit it. Everyone other than me was having a great time:
Chatting away, eating sandwiches, having fun screaming at the top of their lungs: FISH ON!!!
But then I realized how totally and fully completely dumb I was being not getting my bottom out of that chair and telling them that I was seasick and that if nobody got me a bucket or a bowl or anything to puke in that I was gonna jump right off of that boat and drown myself to death.

But, I was even dumber.

I held it in.

The guys didn't even find out until I actually did puke.

After I puked, Bubba said:
"Do" you want to go lie down in the cabin?"
"No." I replied.
He said it again.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
He said it one more time.
"Do you think you're gonna live?"
"Not at all."

So, I went down and I took a nap in the cabin.
After about half an hour, I woke up to the sound of waves crashing against the boat.
We had gone through the choppy wave place again.

Immediately, I puked again.

Bubba said:
"Hang in there, buddy. We're almost home."
That was defenitely a huge relief.
He hopped out of the cabin.
I heard some body scream:" LAND HO!!!!!!"

Well, after I heard that, I felt so happy that I felt Iike jumping out of the cabin's bed and doing a front flip out of the cabin and landing on the roof of the boat. But, right before I actually thought I might do a front flip out of the cabin and land on the roof of the boat, I realized that I was really sea sick and I lied down again.
After I lied down again, someone screamed my name. I had a big rockfish on my line!
I got out of bed and walked vvveeerrryyy ssslllooowwwlllyyy to my fishing rod and started reeling the big rockfish in.The rockfish fought really hard.It took all my strength to get it close. When it finally got close to the boat, Ross netted it and measured it."Thirty-four inches," he said.

I don't mean to brag, but thirty-four inches is two inches taller than Amanda. If you don't know who Amanda is, feel free to read my first post on my blog.

Well,

All in all,it was acually a pretty fun trip.

After all, I DID catch A HUGE ONE!

6 comments:

  1. Chase,

    I LOVE this essay. I love your writer's voice and your jokes and I was rolling laughing!!!!!

    You are a fisherman and a writer. What could be better???


    Seasickness medicine next time??

    Love You,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase I'm sooo sorry you got sick, but at least you caught a big fish! When I was your age I also went fishing with my grandfather off the coast of Hawaii and was sick on the way out to sea BEFORE we started fishing and I never came back with a fish.

    I'm glad you are back on land and we can't wait to eat some rockfish!! Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chase, I love this! Sorry you got sick but it made for a great story.
    I went fishing for the first time a few years ago. I was told to flick my wrist up when I felt something on my line. I felt it a little nibble! I was so excited that a got a little too into it and gave my rod a big flick. As you probably know big flick and a tiny bluegil makes for a bad combo. The line AND THE FISH went flying over my head behind me. The poor fish came off the hook and flew ever farther. Thankfully I didn't hook anyone behind me. The fish lived to swim another but I'll never live it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Chase's mother would post the picture of Chase's fish, that I sent her, on this blog.

    Chase's mother's father

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Chase! sorry you weren't feeling so well but I am sure the fishing was fun. I have only been out fishing on a boat a few times. One of them was with Mandy... I think she caught bigger fish than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your post Chase!I hope next time you will catch a rockfish.

    -Jasmin

    ReplyDelete